Sometimes, we can spend so much time trying to find ways to have healthier hair, that we overlook the fact that our hair can also get damaged whilst we are sleeping. We are often asked by our clients how to protect their hair during drying and styling and when we tell them these tips to follow at night they are amazed that the thought had never crossed their mind. So our blog today is all about the five things you can do to protect your hair whilst you get your beauty sleep!
1. Brush your hair before going to sleep – this will help minimise knots and tangles in the morning
2. Braid your hair loosely – this will help contain your hair when you are turning and tossing at night. This is very important if you have hair extensions. Options are endless: side braid, two pig-tail braids, rope braid, dutch braid…Pick your favourite! Take a look online at images and self help DIY Video Tutorials ( Hint: do a tight braid to wake up with mermaid waves in the morning!)
3. Use a silk or satin pillow case – this material is a lot less rough on the hair than regular pillowcases, reducing the damage to your hair.
4. Never use elastic bands, as they cause hair breakage and put stress on your roots. Instead, use a soft scrunchie and tie your ponytail or bun very lightly.
5. We highly recommend sleeping with dry hair – we hair is very delicate and is much more prone to frizzing and breaking. Plus when you wake up in the morning, you will have a major case of bed head and will need to spend more time taming it, which in turn could lead to more damage if there is excessive use of straighteners etc.
Following these easy steps is so important, because it will ensure that you are keeping your hair as healthy as possible, even while you sleep. Do you have any tips and tricks on how to maintain healthy and tangle-free hair whilst you sleep? How do you keep your hair at night? We’d love to hear from you! The Simone Thomas hairdressers in Bournemouth and Wokingham have multi talented hair stylists who can help you with your hair dilemmas. So if you are after a re-style, bouncy blow dry, colour, hi lights, hair extensions or conditioning treatments, contact us and book in today, we look forward to seeing you!