Hair Loss in Women
The Simone Thomas hair loss clinic in Wokingham and Bournemouth have many years’ experience treating hair loss in women. From female pattern baldness to alopecia, our hair loss specialists are knowledgeable in the various causes of hair loss in women and the treatments which will be suitable for you.
Book your female hair loss appointment today by calling 01202 760003 (Bournemouth) or 01189 760003 (Wokingham).
Women have between 100,000 and 150,000 hairs on their head. The number of strands normally lost in a day varies, but on average it’s around 100. In order to maintain a normal volume, hair must be replaced at the same rate at which it is lost. The first signs of hair thinning that women will often notice are more hairs than usual left in the hairbrush after brushing or in the basin after shampooing. Styling can also reveal areas of thinning, such as a wider parting or a thinning crown.
If you experience hair loss, one of the following is often what causes hair loss in women:
- Cancer hair loss includes hair loss from chemotherapy or radiotherapy. These treatments can cause complete body hair loss or just where the treatment is focused.
- Telogen Effluvium is caused by traumas such as major surgery, poisoning, and severe stress in which many hairs enter the resting phase at the same time, causing shedding and subsequent thinning.
- Trichotillomania is the loss of hair caused by compulsive pulling and bending of the hairs.
- Hypothyroidism (an under-active thyroid) and the side effects of its related medications can cause hair loss, typically frontal, which is particularly associated with thinning of the outer third of the eyebrows.
- Pregnancy can cause hair loss during and after childbirth without causing baldness.
- Hereditary Hair Loss is hair loss that is genetic is known as androgenetic alopecia.
If you are suffering from one of these female hair loss conditions, Simone Thomas can help. From wigs, hair pieces or hair extensions, our hair loss specialists can create full, natural looking hair you will love.