How To Disguise Thinning Hair – Advice From Simone Thomas Dorset Trichology Clinic
Here at Simone Thomas hair loss clinic and hairdressers in Bournemouth, we see hundreds of women every month who are worried about thinning hair. In this blog we offer our latest hints and tips to help you make the most of your thin hair. If you’ve tried every single thickening spray on the market, and feel the need to treat the detangling process like open-heart surgery, desperate to preserve every possible strand, then this article is for you!
If you have battled limp, flat or flyaway hair for your whole life we know how difficult this can be. Through our years of experience have taught us the best ways to to get the very best from thin, flat, lifeless hair and we’re sharing these below.
For more advice or to book an appointment, please call us on 01202 760003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can be sure of a sympathetic welcome at our Bournemouth salon and we’ll do all we can to help restore your confidence in your hair.
Help with Thinning Hair in Women
How To Get The Best From Thinning Hair
Avoid tangles like the plague
When your ponytail’s diameter measures only half an inch, losing any strands to rough brushing is definitely something you want to avoid. The problem is, thin hair is more susceptible to static and wind, which are both major causes of tangly hair. Teasing combs, hairspray and other products can also cause serious tangling.
Of course, loading up on conditioner seems like an obvious fix. However, the heaviest, most tangle-busting formulas come with the unfortunate side effect of weighing down your hair, cancelling out any natural bounce your locks may have. It’s a Catch-22 situation. So what can you do to prevent tangles? We suggest the following:
- Brush your hair before you shower. Dry hair is stronger than wet hair, so de-tangling before you shower will preserve more strands.
- Use good quality shampoo and conditioner. We recommend Davines products, which are gentle on your hair and the planet. Available at our online shop.
- Condition your hair, but don’t go overboard. Only apply conditioner to the bottom 2/3rds of your hair, and be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Spot-treat tough tangles with a quality leave-in conditioner. There’s no need to weigh down your entire mane if there’s only a couple trouble spots. We recommend Davines Dede Hair Mist, which is specially formulated for untangling fine hair and won’t weigh it down.
- Never brush wet hair! It’s age-old advice for a good reason. If you have to detangle wet hair, a wide-tooth comb is much gentler than a brush, and you’ll have much less breakage.
- Sleep with your hair in a loose braid or ponytail.
- Invest in a satin pillowcase. While cotton can rough up your hair as you toss and turn, satin reduces friction, meaning less breakage, fewer tangles AND better hair in the morning.
Choose one of the best hairstyles for thinning hair
Our advice is to talk to your hairdresser. Together, you can come up with a great hair cut and style that will work with your hair.
Haircuts which can help to make your hair look thicker include:
- Blunt cuts – a solid line at the bottom can give your hair the appearance of being fuller, even in longer hair.
- Box bobs – this fashionable style has been called a facelift for your hair. This chin-length style is cut blunt to maximise volume, and it can be styled easily for a full, bouncy look.
- Graduated hair cuts – with a graduated cut the weight of the hair is focused at the back, where layers can be cut into it to maximise the appearance of volume.
- The Wolf Cut – a cool and edgy look which can add soft volume and shaggy texture to your hair. It’s like a cross between a lob, or long bob, and a modern mullet cut.
When choosing a hairstyle to make the most of your thinning hair, speak to your stylist about about your morning routine and your level of blow-drying knowhow and together you can come up with the perfect look.
Have some great styling tricks for thin hair up your sleeve
This is probably our most important tip of all. There are hundreds of products out there that promise to solve your flat-hair problems. Look out for these products which will help make the most of your fine locks:
- Make friends with dry shampoo. Thin hair tends to get oily fast — there’s just not enough of it to sop up the amount that your head produces. However, constant washing and blow drying is not the answer at this will cause breakage. To counter this dry shampoo is an absolute lifesaver. Not only does it keep your hair looking clean and smelling fresh, but the powder gives your roots lots of body, especially if you tease them a bit.
- Boost your roots! A fast and easy way to make the most of your fine hair is by blow drying it upside down. Be sure to comb your hair really well first, to avoid tangling. Another good way to add some volume is to spray in some product and go at your roots with a round brush and blow dryer. Book an appointment at our Bournemouth hair salon to see how we can boost your hair with a volumizing blow dry!
- Think About Texture. Consider using a light weight texturising serum before you blow dry.
Add hair extensions for extra volume
Invest in some quality hair extensions, which are not only great for adding length – they can also add volume to your hair. At our Bournemouth hair salon and hair loss clinic, we offer a wide range of glue free hair extensions. We also offer clip in hair extensions – if you prefer the versatility of being able to wear them occasionally.
In addition we can provide hair pieces and hair volumiser systems if you find that no amount of spritzing and blowdrying will help.
Boost your hair from within with Simone Thomas Wellness
The secret to happy, healthy hair really starts from within. Simone Thomas Wellness offers a multi-award winning range of supplements which are specifically designed to promote your overall health and wellbeing. We also offer products which will tackle hair loss.
If you are suffering from menopause hair loss, you will find plenty of advice in this article. We also recommend Pause the Meno, our latest product, designed to help alleviate symptoms of menopause.
Book a Hair Loss Consultation
If your hair loss is causing you concern, we recommend booking a free hair loss consultation at our Dorset trichology clinic. Call us on 01202 760003 to find out more about our full range of the latest non surgical hair loss treatments.
Embrace Your Hair For What It Is
As a final thought, remember to embrace your hair for what it is. While you might get frustrated that you’ll never have the full, waterfall-like mane like the models on TV (who are almost all wearing extensions, by the way), know that there are hundreds of girls out there who are insanely jealous that your hair only takes five minutes to blow-dry.
You’re unique and beautiful in your own way, and now you have plenty of tricks up your sleeve to enhance what you already have!
If you would like to know more about the hair loss treatments available at the Simone Thomas hair loss clinic in Bournemouth, call now on 01202 760003.